And another commission to check off the list. I tried a couple of different techniques with this one. First; for the fur on the body I tried a different fur rendering that I'm not entirely happy with but it helped me learn. I still think it looks good as a fur render but not quite there yet with the perfection of short furred dogs. Second; I used an acrylic based paint that I watered down to get the creamy color of the coat since they don't sell cream colored inks. It worked nicely. Third; I timed this one. I'm not sure how accurate it is but over the course of a week and a half, this piece took me a total of 6 and a half hours. Since I don't have any previous record of how long scratchboard tends to take me I'm not sure how to judge that. But...I think I'll judge that as being acceptable. And fourth; I had to creatively sketch in the rest of the feet and tail since the original photograph didn't supply them. Yay for creative licenses.
Okay, enough about how I went about the piece. Here is Jagger the Labrador.
Final Results [VIEW FULL SIZE]:
Medium: Scratch board with a watercolor wash and acrylic wash. Size: 11x14