Thursday, June 26, 2008

Balentine the Bull Dog

I didn't count the total hours but I believe this is the longest I have ever had to work on a scratchboard. Balentine the Bulldog turned out to be a lot more challenging than I first perceived. I'm glad I had the practice with Camelot on short fur rendering or I would not have been sure how to make the short furs on a bulldog look even slightly believable. I'm pleased with the final product but at the same time I feel it's missing something. I think it may be the fact that Balentine is all white and I'm not used to working with so little color. All he needed was pink highlights for his ears and some of the fur. I'll let Balentine sit on the side for a few days and see if I can come up with anything or leave it as is. For now I present Balentine the Bulldog who looks like he has a lot of attitude!

Oh, and for a change of pace I am including a scan of the original photograph I worked from as reference so, you can compare the photograph to the artwork produced, as well as what I chose to change and leave in.

Photograph:

Medium: Scratchboard with water color wash - Size: 8x10

No comments: